Facts and figures
Flag of Romania: Three vertical stripes: red, yellow and blue.
– National Day: the 1st of Dec (Unification of the Romanian historical regions)Surface: 238,000 sq. km (11th in Europe, 79th in the World)
– Population (2011): 19 million (19.042.936)
– Ethnic Groups (2011): Romanian 88.6%, Hungarian 6.5%, Gipsy 3.2%, Ukrainians, Germans, Turks, Others
– Religions: Romanian Orthodox 87%, Roman Catholic 5%, Protestant 5%, Greek-Catholic, Unitarian, others
– Official Language: Romanian
– Currency: Romanian LEU ( RON )
– Climate: Temperate with four distinct seasons
– Main Cities: Bucuresti (capital city), Cluj Napoca, Iasi, Brasov, Constanta, Timisoara
– Administrative divisions: Bucuresti municipality and other 41 counties
– Form of State: Semi-parliamentary Republic with two legislative chambers: Chamber of Representatives (Camera Deputatilor) and the Senate (Senat).
– Legal system: Based on European models and Constitution of 1991.
– Electoral System: Universal direct suffrage over the age of 18.
– Head of State: President of the Republic
– National Government: The government is led by the Prime Minister, nominated by the President of Romania and confirmed by the Parliament.